Sunday, February 9, 2014

'The Lego Movie': Did it make you cry? -- POLL



In the past, Ive made no secret of my love for animated films especially the ones that can reach into my cold, dark soul and flip the switch labeled feelings. And I know Im not alone. In fact, when the subject of tear-inducing animated movies came up on the Editors Hour on Sirius XM this past week, we had dozens of callers who could all point out different cartoons that made them weep. The one that surprised me the most? The Lego Movie.

Now, at that point, the movie had not been released yet. But our producer Jennifer, who had seen an early screening, insisted that it made her misty. So when I went to see the movie this weekend joined, apparently, by the rest of the movie-going world I fully expected waterworksonly to surprisingly find myself dry-eyed by the end of the film.

Thats not to say it wasnt a moving film. [Spoiler alert: Movie specifics ahead.] Near the end of the film, when it was revealed that the movie was taking place in the imagination of a young boy who was playing with his fathers (Will Ferrell) off-limits Lego collection, I was thrilled that the filmmakers had found a way to add so much heart to a movie we all had once assumed was a simple marketing ploy. (I mean, it still is, but at least its a good movie, too.) And then when Ferrells character the boys human inspiration of the films Lord Business villain had a change of heart and realized the error of his anti-creativity ways, I thought it was a sweet message. But tear-worthy? Not so much. The man sitting in front of me, though, seemed touched in a profound way tears and sniffles included.

Maybe his father is Lord Business. Or maybe I wasnt weepy because my parents always encouraged creativity (and, truth be told, I was always more of a Playmobil kid). Regardless, its confession time! Take the poll:

Take Our Poll

Source: http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/02/09/the-lego-movie-did-it-make-you-cry-poll/



No comments:

Post a Comment